NotYourSocialSecurity is a private entity and is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Social Security Administration.
The Social Security Administration provides free Social Security forms, publications and assistance.

Replacement Social Security Cards

Replacement Card
Change Name on Card
Apply for First Card
Social Security Card Updates

Reasons you may use a Social Security Card

  • Start a New Job
  • Opening a bank account
  • Applying for government benefits
  • Name change due to marriage
  • Name change due to divorce
  • Birth of a child
  • Change of Immigration Status

Whether you’ve lost your social security card or someone has stolen your social security card, you’ve come to the right place. Alternatively, if your card is significantly damaged, replacing your social security card is the right thing to do.

A social security card is likely one of the most important documents a person can possess. It’s imperative for a wide range of activities, from starting a new job to opening a bank account or applying for government benefits, like Medicare or Social Security. It’s also often required for employment and signing up for health benefits.

Before we get too far in the process, there are two things to remember when it comes to replacing a social security card. First, all supporting documents must be originals, not just notarized photocopies. Second, once you have everything gathered, you’ll need to submit the application to your regional Social Security Administration (SSA). If you submit your social security card replacement application to the SSA headquarters, it will likely be returned.

How to Get a Replacement Social Security Card

First, download form SS-5 by visiting this link. In order to access the form, you’ll need to have a software on your computer that allows you to view PDF files, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader. Print the application using standard white letter-size paper.

Fill in all sections of the application in blue or black ink using clear handwriting, noting that providing information in section 7 pertaining to your race and ethnicity is completely voluntary. The address you provide in section 16 should be an acceptable location for your replacement social security card to be sent in approximately 1-2 weeks. Finally, do not forget to actually sign your completed application, as an unsigned social security card application is certain to be denied.

After your application is complete, you’ll need to gather the following documentation as well. If applying for a social security card replacement as an adult, you’ll need to prove citizenship through a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, or Naturalization Certificate. You’ll also be required to provide documentation for proof of identity, such as a U.S. driver’s license, U.S. state-issued non-driver identity card, or a U.S. passport. If these options for proof of identity are unavailable to you, consider another official document such as a health insurance card, school ID card or U.S. military ID. Finally, an original birth certificate will be required as proof of age.

If you’re applying for a replacement social security card on behalf of a child, you’ll not only need to include documents listed above to prove your identity, but also those for the child. If the child does not have a U.S. passport or U.S. state-issued non-driver identity card as proof of identity, you may use a school ID, adoption decree, religious record, or school record.

Before you mail in or personally present your entire social security card replacement application to your regional SSA office, take a minute to check everything over one last time for accuracy. Whether you’re facing a lost social security card or a stolen social security card, you’ll want to application process to run smoothly so that it needn’t be a worry should unexpected circumstances arise in which you need it.

Replace your Social Security Card in the States of the USA

Alabama Hawaii Massachusetts New Mexico South Dakota
Alaska Idaho Michigan New York Tennessee
Arizona Illinois Minnesota North Carolina Texas
Arkansas Indiana Mississipi North Dakota Utah
California Iowa Missouri Ohio Vermont
Colorado Kansas Montana Oklahoma Virginia
Connecticut Kentucky Nebraska Oregon Washington
Delaware Louisianna Nevada Pennsylvania West Virginia
Florida Maine New Hampshire Rhode Island Wisconsin
Georgia Maryland New Jersey South Carolina Wyoming